Most people realize mold growth is always a possibility in a damp home. Keeping a watchful eye out for mold in the basement and bathroom is a priority for responsible homeowners. While staying on top of any mold issues in these areas is wise, never overlook the potential for mold to grow in the kitchen. Even a slight amount of moisture could contribute to difficult-to-spot mold growth. Such mold then presents a health hazard since the spores might infect food.

Food, Mold, and Health Issues

Mold can and does spread to food upon finding a home in the kitchen. Spores in the air can land on food and then start to grow. Now, no one is going to eat an apple that has black and green mold growing over it. Yet, people could eat food with minute amounts of mold and not know they have done so. These small amounts could have an adverse effect on the body. Allergic reactions and gastrointestinal problems are possible outcomes upon eating mold. With this in mind, take extra steps to be keep a kitchen mold-free.

Detective Work on a Leaking Sink

Leaky plumbing fixtures are among the supremely common causes of mold. As water drips from drains under the sink and dampens the area, the resultant moisture helps mold growth. Mold growing on the sink-cabinet door or near it when opened reveals the obvious presence of mold. If no mold is growing in this spot, then there is not likely any there, right? You won't know the answer to that until you perform a thorough inspection beneath the sink. Upon noticing dampness, get a small flashlight and immediately

  • Shine light on the right and left side walls.
  • Examine the underside of the sink and check every crevice.
  • Look at the back wall, especially the top and bottom corners.

Taking these steps helps ensure no small amounts of mold remain undiscovered and growing.

Beware of Common Kitchen Mold Causes

Traditional, everyday happenings in a kitchen such as boiling water or simply spilling liquids have the potential to contribute to mold growth. In addition to quickly cleaning up all spills and making sure the kitchen is properly ventilated, be mindful of the scent of mold. When the scent is in the air and no mold is visibly present, mold could be growing under the wallpaper, behind the refrigerator, or under the oven.

When an unmistakable scent is present, call in a mold removal service like ServiceMaster by Restoration Xperts to perform a thorough inspection. Once these professionals uncover the mold, they will go to work getting rid of it.